Everyone knows that receiving a compliment can really brighten up your day. The smallest of compliments, like “great job!” can make you feel valued and appreciated. Unfortunately, workdays are often very busy, and we forget that some quick words can greatly impact morale. Without spending so much as a cent, you can improve upon relationships in the workplace tenfold with just a few kind words to recognize your coworkers’ hard work. Both giving and receiving compliments is essential for building and maintaining workplace relationships! So during the workday, try to remember to give your colleagues positive feedback and lift their spirits. If you need some inspiration, you can find 70 great ways to compliment your coworkers in this blog post.
The Importance of Complimenting Your Coworkers
It is important not to take your coworkers, employees, or managers for granted. At the end of the day, everyone wants to feel recognized and appreciated for their accomplishments. If people feel like their hard work and efforts are not being seen, they may become demotivated. This is why compliments can play such a huge role in improving the overall environment of your workplace. They may seem like words, but really they can boost morale and improve your business's overall workings in ways you never thought possible!
For example, complimenting someone on their continued efforts despite obstacles can push them further in the right direction. This, in turn can have a positive outcome for all members of the team. Increasing motivation has obvious desirable effects: improved staff relationships, happier coworkers, and, of course, greater employee retention. Keep reading to find out more about giving compliments, and remember never to underestimate the power of words!
How to Compliment a Coworker for a Job Well Done?
Giving a compliment sincerely and constructively is not as easy as you may think. Because almost 70% of people find both giving and receiving compliments to be something embarrassing and even awkward, you’ll want to make sure that it has a positive outcome too. The best kind of compliment will be said so that the receiver feels both deserving of your words and motivates to continue their good work.
This means that not only do you have to mean what you say (because people can spot an empty compliment from a mile away), you should also acknowledge the reason for the compliment. The best way to achieve this is to focus on the impact that the person has made, rather than merely state what they have done. For example, instead of saying, “That was great work,” try something like “Your <contribution> towards <project> has really helped the team by <impact>. Great job!”
Here are 70 examples of compliments for coworkers for you to use as a reference if ever you are at a loss for words. Remember to tweak them accordingly to include specifics, process, and impact!
List of Compliments for Coworkers at the Workplace
Compliments for Managers
1. Thank you for all of your guidance. It has helped me to improve my strengths.
2. Your work ethic and efforts really motivate and inspire me!
3. I admire the way you deal with the obstacles thrown your way.
4. The support that you show to all of your employees is extremely appreciated.
5. Your positive attitude has had a huge impact on the team as a whole.
6. The way you deal with your employees makes us feel understood, listened to, and secure.
7. Your ability to turn any problem into a solution is admirable and inspiring.
8. One of the things I admire most is your ability to stay calm and collected in a crisis.
9. Thank you for always lending a helping hand.
10. I really appreciate the constant constructive feedback that I receive from you.
11. Your attention to detail really makes our jobs go a lot smoother.
12. As a manager, you set a fantastic example for all of us to follow.
13. Working with you has helped me to hone in on my passion for this line of work.
14. Your efforts have really gone a long way towards ensuring a positive outcome for your employees.
15. I admire that you can delegate responsibilities in a fair manner.
Compliments for Subordinates
16. We love having such a hardworking employee working for us!
17. Your creativity and new ideas really help the company as a whole.
18. I am extremely lucky to have hired you.
19. Thank you for always contributing in meetings - it has not gone unnoticed.
20. We admire your positive attitude when obstacles are thrown your way.
21. The role that you play in the success of your projects is crucial.
22. Thank you for the consistent initiative and perseverance that you show.
23. The suggestions that you present really have a positive outcome thank you!
24. Well done on taking responsibility for your mistakes and working hard to make them right. It has really paid off.
25. You show professionalism and passion in everything that you do.
26. We have really enjoyed seeing what you have to offer, and we can’t wait to see more.
27. You embody the spirit of our company, and we are grateful to have found you.
28. Your unique perspective on things has opened our eyes to new possibilities and solutions.
29. You have set the bar high for people who want to be in a position like yours.
30. The skills and strengths that you bring to the table are second to none.
31. Thank you for listening to the feedback we give you and working on it.
32. You are extremely reliable and always get the job done well and on time.
33. Your attention to detail is evident in everything that you do.
34. Your confidence is infectious!
35. Thank you for exceeding our expectations.
Professional Compliments for Coworkers
36. The teamwork you have all shown is exemplary.
37. Well done on working so hard together!
38. Each and every one of you is an invaluable member of this team.
39. The way that you all respect each other’s opinions and ideas is admirable.
40. Everyone’s ideas work seamlessly with each other - keep it up!
41. We have noticed how you have all helped one another as a team to grow and improve.
42. We can see that you have put a lot of effort into your work.
43. Thank you for cooperating so well.
44. Collectively, you have all made this project work.
45. We couldn’t have done this without all of you.
46. The success of this team is obvious, and each one of you has had a huge impact.
47. The way you all take responsibility for your individual projects is admirable.
48. Each person’s attention to detail has led to a fantastic result!
49. Thank you for always giving each other room to speak and contribute.
50. We admire and appreciate how you are always willing to help your fellow teammates rather than put them down.
Compliments for Your Peers
51. I love the creativity that you consistently show!
52. Thanks for showing amazing initiative - it has really inspired me.
53. I really enjoy working with you, and you have such positive energy!
54. You are amazing at cheering people up and making them feel more motivated.
55. I really admire the attitude you have when faced with new challenges.
56. The way that you dealt with that obstacle despite the circumstances was extremely inspiring.
57. I am so lucky to have been placed alongside you.
58. We are definitely on each other’s wavelength when it comes to our work ethics.
59. I know that I can always rely on you.
60. Thank you for the advice you offer me, I really appreciate it, and it has helped me a lot.
61. That was a fantastic presentation, we can definitely all learn from you!
62. I appreciate the fact that you are always willing to listen and lend a helping hand.
63. You are great at communication.
64. Your enthusiasm and passion are infectious and inspiring.
65. I appreciate the fact that you are so trustworthy, and that you trust me too.
66. The questions that you ask are really thought-provoking.
67. The way that you come up with new ideas so quickly is so desirable.
68. Thank you for taking responsibility and never throwing others under the bus.
69. I know I can always come to you if I need help - you are so tech-savvy!
70. I couldn’t imagine working here without you.
As you can see, there are loads of ways of complimenting a coworker, and each way can be tailored to fit in with the specifics of what the person has achieved. Keep these compliments in mind next time you want to show appreciation to somebody that you work with. It can help lift their spirits and boost their workplace productivity as they can see their work is being appreciated. Rewards programs are also great ways to show your employees that they will be treated for their hard work. With Xoxoday Plum, you can easily recognize employee achievements with instant rewards and incentives. Remember to never take your coworkers, staff, or managers for granted - kindness and gratitude can go a long way!
Build a culture of employee appreciation with Xoxoday Empuls. Automate rewards and incentives delivery by connecting your applications with Plum RaaS APIs. Want to know more? Book a demo or start a free trial.
At Xoxoday, we deeply understand the intrinsic and extrinsic motivation and engagement drivers of people, be it an employee, supplier, contract staff, gig or consumer. We bring simplicity and continuity to a complex, everyday problem.