It’s Monday morning. You are holed up inside the conference room, your team gathered around, waiting for the weekly meeting to start. There’s a serious affliction of the Monday Blues going around.
Not the best sight for you as a team manager if you already have “Go, go, go!” screaming inside your head ever since you left for work in the morning. Here’s where you need to do a Samuel Jackson, roll up your sleeves, and become Coach Carter to a rag-tag bunch of hoop players (well, not really, but you know where we’re going with this).
But it’s not like you are bursting with newly found energy either. Maybe that Force is not with you, after all.
History has countless orators and leaders who have stood tall and delivered hard-hitting words of wisdom. So, motivational quotes for work should do the trick here.
But you know you are no Martin Luther King, for inspirational quotes to be rolling off your tongue. But inspire, you must.
So, what do you do?
What you, in fact, do is lean back, prop up your legs (in your cabin, of course, not in the meeting room), and pick your way through what we’ve put together for you.
We have scoured through the annals of motivational and inspirational quotes to bring you a truckload of sayings that will stimulate and induce your workforce to bring out their A-game.
So, let’s get cracking.
“I have a dream that one day, this office will rise up…”
Not that one? We know. King is a bit too heavy for what you need.
Here’s something more office-ish (we do have the other King, though) some amazing and effective motivational messages for your employees.
1. "The sun himself is weak when he first rises and gathers strength and courage as the day gets on."
2. "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
3. Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.
4. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.
5. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…
Dr. Suess, Oh the Places You’ll Go
6. Be men, or be more than men. Be steady to your purposes and firm as a rock. This ice is not made of such stuff as your hearts may be; it is mutable and cannot withstand you if you say that it shall not.
7. Man is only truly great when he acts from the passions; never irresistible but when he appeals to the imagination.
8. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.
9. If something is wrong, fix it now. But train yourself not to worry, worry fixes nothing.
10. Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
Robert Louis Stevenson
If those didn’t strike a chord, the next few will. Remember, your team has its own personality. Like any person. Each team has its own “individuality.” So choose your motivational quotes to suit not only the occasion but also your team’s personality.
11. It is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary.
12. I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that’s how you grow. When there’s that moment of ‘Wow, I’m not really sure I can do this,’ and you push through those moments, that’s when you have a breakthrough.
13. We must all learn not only to not fear change, but to embrace it enthusiastically and, perhaps even more important, encourage and drive it.
14. Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
15. If you hear a voice within you say “you cannot paint,” then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh
16. When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.
17. I got lucky because I never gave up the search. Are you quitting too soon? Or are you willing to pursue luck with a vengeance?
– Jill Konrath
18. Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
Mary Kay Ash
19. You can’t let your failures define you. You have to let your failures teach you.
20. If you don’t understand, ask questions. If you’re uncomfortable about asking questions, say you are uncomfortable about asking questions and then ask anyway. It’s easy to tell when a question is coming from a good place. Then listen some more.
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Since we’re halfway through the list, it makes sense to take a pause. And take in the heady essence of the fact that the words we are reading have originated from some of the greatest minds of the century. We have authors, litterateurs, sports personalities, businessmen, artists, hell even complete Presidents—all on the same page. Pun intended. Read on.
21. You just have to keep driving down the road. It’s going to bend and curve and you’ll speed up and slow down, but the road keeps going.
22. Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.
23. A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.
24. All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.
25. If your dream is a big dream, and if you want your life to work on the high level that you say you do, there’s no way around doing the work it takes to get you there.
26. It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.
27. Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.
28. The best things in life are often waiting for you at the exit ramp of your comfort zone. – Karen Salmansohn
29. You can worry about the competition…or you can focus on what’s ahead of you and drive fast.
30. Embrace the pain to inherit the gain. – Habeeb Akande
31. I’m a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
32. The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.
33. “In the confrontation between the river and the rock, the river always wins, not through strength but by perseverance.”
34. You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
35. Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
Martin Luther King Jr
36. Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but sail we must and not drift, nor lie at anchor.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
37. Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.
38. No one can whistle a symphony. It takes a whole orchestra to play it. – H.E. Luccock
39. The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
40. Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.
– Jamie Paolinetti
These inspirational quotes for your employees ought to help you hold the fort when morale is dropping faster than the winter temperature. Motivation is like wildfire - ignite it with a spark of wisdom and sit back and watch as it spreads around the office. Witness ideas bouncing off each other as your colleagues get creative and buzz around with innovative solutions.