Gamification is one of the hot trends of the millennium. It leverages people’s natural tendencies for competition, achievement, collaboration and charity. Methods employed in game design such as rewarding users for achievements and earning badges are being replicated in the corporate world to help boost employee engagement and performance.
The UI/UX of any front-end software largely determines whether customers or employees would engage with it or not. Add cloud to the discussion and we are talking about hosting a gamified, cloud-based software user platform securely on the web. In line with current trends, a rewards and recognition (RnR) program also involves engaging employees via a gamified portal.
How gamification engages employees: modus operandi
According to recent business research, adding gamification to RnR can boost employee engagement by up to 33%. Here are 10 ways how gamification could help increase the effectiveness of your RnR program:
- Knowledge Updates: With gamification, your RnR portal holds more meaning. Your employees are 68% more likely to discover content, understand facts and gather relevant information on the RnR program as well as the business. This helps employees align their perspective with the organizational strategy.
- Prompt Communication: Employee interaction and intra-organizational communication could increase up to 13% as a result of their engagement with a gamified RnR software. The impact of this communication is likely to be positive on the work environment, as gamification helps establish transparency in interactions.
- Social Sharing: Social sharing of rewards and recognition is a salient feature of any gamified RnR platform. When your employees share their recognition on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter, your branding sees a positive reinforcement. It could also lead to quality talent getting attracted to your organization.
- Drive Performance: The analytics feature of your gamified portal can help you incentivize employees to perform better through meaningful rewards and recognition. Gamification could also enhance employee assessment of their work targets, the work planning, the associated incentives and rewards, and thus increase their motivation.
- Employee Learning: A gamified RnR platform can also feature an employee learning module. Employees can enroll in an e-learning course of their choice through a workflow-based approval process. Managers and HRs can track the progress of learning of their employees through data-driven dashboards.
- Instant Recognition: Gamification gives managers the option to allocate points based rewards directly to the end users and instantly with the click of a button. These little acts go a long way in boosting the morale of the employees. Instant recognition along with a timely and direct feedback can significantly contribute to meeting work environment and business objectives.
- People Analytics: The analytical dashboard lets the leaders and the HRs know who is rewarding whom. It is usually a timeline modeled feed, which shows all the activities taking place in the company. You can track and check the ROI of your rewards,
loyalty and incentive programs. Such platforms also enable you to track employee participation, rewards, payments, invoices, returns, and more.
- Communities: Employees can create groups based on hobbies, departments, interests, functions, geography etc. These communities give them a medium to express and engage themselves with the organization outside of their immediate work as well. Often, such collaborations result in employees taking new initiatives for the business.
- Special Perks: Gamification vendors often extend free token perks to client organizations. For instance, through the platform, employees could avail free offers from reputed brands in categories such as apparel, fine dining, travel, etc.
- Job Referrals: Many reward platforms support the job referral feature. Here, employees can share referrals with
their recruitment teams. Employees can avail both internal job postings (IJPs) as well as refer their external friends and acquaintances. Gamification leads to greater success for such programs as employees can earn extra reward points.
Gamification can thus motivate your employees in multiple ways. What begins as an RnR platform, ends up incorporating several business aspects such as recruitment, learning and development, performance management, people analytics, employee engagement and more.
Gamification imparts both agility and tenacity to your RnR systems and could go a long way in enhancing employee trust and engagement.
Are you looking to know more about gamification-based reward systems? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.